If you are qualified in the UK and wish to start working in your profession in another country, there are several steps you will need to follow. You will need to determine firstly whether you will have the right to work in that country. Once you have done this, you will need to check whether the profession you wish to access is regulated.

To check whether a profession is regulated in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, or Liechtenstein, please visit the Regulated Professions Database. Within this database, you can also find the contact details of the competent authority responsible for regulating the profession. You may also wish to contact the Assistance Centre in the country you are planning to provide services. The contact details for the Assistance Centres in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, and Liechtenstein are available online.

If the profession you wish to practice is regulated, you may be required by the regulatory body to obtain professional recognition of your qualification(s) before you can start work. Among other responsibilities, a regulatory body is responsible for setting or applying the standards for a regulated profession, controlling who can access the profession, and assessing professional qualifications.

If you have experience in the UK in an unregulated trade or craft and are planning to carry out that profession in an EU Member State, you may need a Certificate of Experience. You can apply for this service online. Please contact us if you have any questions regarding this service.

Guidance for UK businesses on rules for selling services is available on GOV.UK. Information for UK businesses providing services and traveling for business to countries in the EEA and Switzerland is available on GOV.UK.

The Department for Business and Trade is publishing enhanced guidance on GOV.UK to help businesses navigate the new business travel rules following the end of the Transition Period. The guidance covers the entry requirements for each Member State (all EU MS excluding Ireland which is a unique case due to the Common Travel Area with the UK), and Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Switzerland. Each guide provides an overview of the temporary business travel routes available, including any applicable work permit or visa exemptions, eligibility and document requirements, and how work permit/visa applications are made. Website links to the relevant page of each Member State website and/or legislation, as well as corresponding visa/work permit applications, are included, where possible to do so.

Further Information

Should you require further assistance, advice or guidance other than that provided here or on GOV.UK, please contact us.

If you are experience any difficulties in having your professional qualification(s) and/or experience recognised in the UK or in a Member State, please contact us.